Scroll To See More Images
Cold weather layering isn’t just about clothes—it’s about accessories too. This season, necklaces are taking center stage in all shapes, styles, and sizes. Whether you’re simplifying with one statement necklace, trying your hand at layering delicate chains, or stacking chunky styles, there’s a look out there for button-down every occasion.
We photographed some of our favorite necklace options and covered a range of outfits ideas to ensure that you are more than set for the buttoned-up winter months ahead.
Browse our inspiring necklace ideas and let us know how you like to wear your necklaces!
1. Showcase what necklace to wear with button-down shirt a single statement piece with a blouse and blazer in complementing colors. Button the blouse up to the collar and pair it with a fitted blazer, so that the necklace is framed your outfit and tying it all together.
Above: Necklace, Holst & Lee; Blazer, Urban Outfitters; Denim Shirt, I Love H81 Los Angeles.
2. Try mixing and matching different shapes and symbols for a look that is totally unique. Tip: Using the same type of metal makes pairing styles easier. Pair this look with an undone button-up with a moto jacket for an overall edgy vibe.
Above: Necklace, Urban Outfitters; Necklace, Pamela Love; Leather Jacket, Members Only; Shirt, H&M.
3. Stack thick chains in mixed metals to give your preppy sweater and collared shirt combo and edge.
Above: Necklaces, Fenton Fallon, Dannijo; Denim Jacket, Express; Sweater and Blouse, H&M.
4. Add some color to your denim jacket meets t-shirt uniform with necklaces made from colorful rope or other brightly hued materials.
Above: Necklaces, Holst & Lee; Denim jacket, Express; Tee, Rochambeau
5. A sparkling statement necklace will look elegant and cool next to zippers with brassy hardware and a buttoned to the collar top (especially if that top is made of leather, like this one).
Above: Necklace, Dannijo; Leather shirt & jacket, DROMe.
6. A velvet turtleneck and brocade blazer might seem like a staid combo, but add a crystal and spike studded necklace to the mix and your outfit will be immediately up to date.
Above: Necklace, Rue Gembon; Velvet turtleneck, Kelly Piekarski; Blazer, Rachel Zoe.
7. These aren’t your grandmother’s pearls. Try a necklace that mixes elements like pearls, rhinestones, and studs for a look that is as versatile as it is fun.
Above: Necklace, Rue Gembon; Sweater, Zara; Denim Shirt, Gap.
8. Are you more of an understated kind of girl? Worry not. When mixed together at different lengths, thin chains and tiny charms can make a serious style statement.
Above: Necklaces, Melissa Kaye, EF collection, Graziela Gems; Crytsal Necklace, Porter Lyons; Tank top, H&M, Sweater, Pink Rose.
9. Chokers are having a major moment, but not in that “Clueless” meets “The Craft”, kind of way, so don’t panic. Stack layers of gold chokers for a look that will make any sweater look polished and dressed up.
Above: Chokers, Jennifer Fischer; Ball necklace, Fenton Fallon; Leather jacket, BB Dakota; Sweater, Zara.
10. Have you found a statement necklace that is so bright and beautiful you want it to take center stage? Wear an all-black outfit that is full of texture to make that necklace really pop.
Necklace, Dannijo; blouse, H&M; Vest, stylist’s own.
Photographer: Tiffany Hagler-Geard
Stylist: Kelly Kellon
Model: Katie Clementi